Last Friday was a nice normal day at school. Third period had about 5 minutes left and I sat down to do a couple of things. A student then announces, "there's brown stuff and water coming out of that drain over there"....I proceed to swear in front of all of my students. "Oh, sh*#," I proclaim as I try to explain that the substance coming out of the drain is in fact "sh*#." We move stuff out of the way and the REAL bad odor comes.
Now, I have lived on a farm for the majority of my life and have visited many dairy and pig farms. This smell got to me! Raw sewage stinks! So we call the custodians and move to an open room down the hall. They had to rotter rooter through my room and do some major cleaning up!
By the end of the day, the custodians assure me that they would have the problem fixed by Monday. Monday rolls around and it still stinks! So we stayed in our temporary classroom and I requested more cleaning up. They assured me that the smell would be gone by Tuesday.
Tuesday- I think it still smells but it is not as strong as it originally was! There are some coworkers who stop in the room for about 5 seconds and proclaim that I need to suck it up and stay in the room. "it's not that bad" "pony up!" "i don't even smell anything!" Okay, I get it, I am a wimp. So, I take a class in there. Half way through the period, three students were complaining of bad headaches, two others were complaining of stomach aches and another teacher in the room said she felt like she was about to get sick. Okay, we're out. We're not staying in the stinky room for my pride's sake. I tell all of the nay sayers to sit in the room for 50 minutes and then tell me if it stinks. They call in some more custodians and plumbers and I am informed at the end of the school day that I will need to stay in the temporary room until January. Wrapping my brain about the move, I leave school quickly to get away.
Wednesday- The room still stinks but I'm not in it. I am constantly running back and forth between rooms grabbing things I don't have in the other room. By the end of Wednesday I have moved about 25% of my stuff, only to be told that maybe they can fix my stinky room today rather than January and I don't need to move..............not cool because I just moved a bunch of stuff. They implement their fix it plan and I leave school.
Today- They're quick fix plan did not work. It still stinks in there. Not as bad/strong as before but still smelly. I commit to the new classrooms for the rest of the school year and request that students spend their free time helping me move. During what is known as "Activity Period," twenty students come to my room to help me move!!! 20 students came to help me move! I had to look for jobs for all of them to do. They were amazing. It really touched my heart!!
So, tomorrow and this weekend I plan to put the finishing touches on my new room and get comfortable for business as usual. This weeks has been quite hectic, especially for me because I like things neat and organized!!
I will provide pictures of my new room soon!!
lots of love!!!!!! ang
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment