Wednesday, October 1, 2008

survival mode

alright, so I'm just a little too busy to keep up with a blog. I have heard others discuss how they write in their blogs everyday and such but I am just too busy for this. So, maybe I'll just shoot for once and month and that will be better.

Before this school year I read a couple "first year teacher books." I think I am currently at the stage of teachers called survival mode. I am just getting by and surviving each day. Just when I think I've gotten caught up or ahead something happens that causes me to be right back here at survival mode. I'm making all of my own worksheets, tests, quizzes, labs and so on...that takes lots of time. Then I need to grade those worksheets, test, etc. for all 125 of my students. Then I need to photocopy, call a parent, reply to 6 e-mails, put this away, get this out, plan for tomorrow, eat some food, maybe sleep. I like being busy, really, I do!

So, I've also discovered the addiction to the chair. I was always so amazed how many teachers would show a movie and go do something at their desk in their chair. During student teaching I vowed to never sit down and hardly ever did. I also had three prep periods and taught only 4 classes. Now I have one prep and teach 6 classes, I am now slightly addicted to my chair. Having the kids work on something and sitting at my chair means I can: start grading something, make a worksheet, reply to those pesky e-mails from parents, get ready for the next class, print something out, and the list goes on. Five minute in the chair is five less minutes I have to scramble later....ahh the chair, sweet relief. But No! Yells the angel on my left shoulder, I don't want to be one of those teachers that gives worksheets or shows a movie and goes to their chair. But I am just trying to survive this first year!! Yells the exhausted angel on my other shoulder....there are no devils on these shoulders. :) As the battle continues between, I am working toward a happy medium, chair somedays for just a few minutes, not everyday.

Other than the little morral delemma that I face daily, I am doing really well! Staying healthy! Nick is really enjoying grad school! We hosted our first ever football tailgating party last weekend for BSU's homecoming. It was a ton of fun! I am glad that Nick is in school here, it allows me to enjoy all of the "college perks" that I missed during my years.

One of my college teammates, Sarah, is getting married next weekend. I am looking forward to her big day! Well, this is all I know right now. My parents sent me some beautiful flowers at school, I actually cried a little in front of the class when I got them! I'll take a picture and post it in a few days. I hope! :)

My dad now has a staph infection from the hospital, he's doing fine but had to spend last weekend in the hospital. :) All weekend I had a gut feeling he was in the hospital, but no one called me. :) ha ha, my wonderful family was looking out for me. But, when I called about 10 times between Friday and Sunday, I knew something was up. Papa is doing much better though! I will be in Wisconsin on the 16th!! Both Nick and I and a couple of friend are going to road trip over! I am really excited for the visit. Well, I better get to work.

Love ya!!

1 comment:

Ann said...

1 step at a time, 1 day at a time. Do NOT try to do develop EVERYTHING for ALL the classes you are teaching the first year! Focus on developing your curriculum for ONE COURSE this semester, then do the same 2nd semester for another. I know you and the other courses will still be well above and beyond what the kids would normally have gotten from anyone else.
You will be much happier if you do this! Your students need someone who is also a complete person, not one that's exhausted from trying to DO IT ALL.......

Been there, done that.....Love Ya, Ann